Have you tried something unusual such as alcohol ink in your drawing or writing? It is surprising, but many artists now are using alcohol inks.
Besides, if you run out of inks you can just grab your alcohol and pen marker and you will already have inks for your masterpiece. In this article, we will share with you how to make white alcohol ink using common materials that can be found in your home.
Also, you can save money rather than buy available inks in the market. Besides, you cannot go outside because of the pandemic. As long as you have alcohol you can make your white ink.
What is Alcohol Ink?
Alcohol ink is an acid-free, translucent, and highly-pigmented ink that can be applied on non-porous and porous surfaces such as metals, glass, papers, fabrics, and resins, among others. They can also be used in jewelry making, stamping, fabric dyeing, and other mixed media projects.
The alcohol ink is best and works well on non-porous surfaces. They are also fast-drying inks and can produce marble-like effects using any medium.
Alcohol ink is available in online and offline markets. However, it is pricey. A small bottle of alcohol ink is about $10 or higher.
The good news is you can make your alcohol ink. We prepare some ways on how to make alcohol ink. We choose the white color, but you can apply it in other colors too. You may continue reading below the ways on how to make alcohol ink.
3 Ways on How to Create a White Alcohol Ink
We choose white ink because it is often used in drawings, arts, and writings. Of course, in writing, if you want to highlight your content you use white ink and black paper or something dark in color.
The following are the three ways on how to create white alcohol ink.
1. Using Dye Powder and Alcohol
You will need 91% isopropyl alcohol, dye powder with white color, water, needle tip applicator bottles, and gloves for this process.
The steps are the following:
- Wear your gloves first because this is quite messy, especially when you mix the dye powder with the alcohol.
- Prepare the materials needed.
- Get one bottle and fill it with half an ounce of water. It is about 15 ml of water.
- Then, take your white dye powder and add one-half teaspoon of it into the water.
- To avoid spilling, make a funnel out of small paper and put it into the lid of the bottle.
- Pour the one-half teaspoon of white dye powder into the funnel.
- Tighten the cap of the bottle and shake it to mix the dye with water.
- Once done mixing, add about one-half ounce of alcohol into the bottle.
- Then, shake the bottle again until they mix well.
- Get a glossy black paper and try your new white alcohol ink.
2. Using Acrylic Paint and Alcohol
The materials you need are white acrylic paint, alcohol, gloves, and a small bottle. Here are the steps:
- Wear your gloves to avoid stains from acrylic on your hands.
- Get the white acrylic paint and pour about 30 ml into the small bottle.
- Then, fill the rest of the small bottle with alcohol.
- Shake the mixture well until they are blended.
- Take a black or blue paper and pour the white alcohol ink. Rub it on the paper, and you will notice the marks of the white alcohol ink.
3. Using a Sharpie brand permanent markers and Alcohol
You need three main things for this process. These include gloves, a jar, a white Sharpie brand permanent marker, and 80 to 99% alcohol. You may use Isopropyl or any high percentage alcohol.
You may follow the steps below:
- Do not forget to wear gloves first.
- Get the white ink from the Sharpie marker. Get scissors and cut the marker in half to get the tube.
- Take the jar and put the ink tube. If the ink tube is too long, you may cut it into pieces.
- Then, add an amount of alcohol in the jar with the white ink. Leave the mixture for 1 to 2 hours.
- The alcohol will become saturated in the white ink for an hour. Once saturated, put the white alcohol in a small dropper bottle. Your white alcohol ink is now ready for use.
Knowing how to make white alcohol ink is practical for you. You can apply the process in other colors too.
Also, keep in mind that you must observe safety in doing this task. The materials such as alcohol and inks may be toxic and also flammable. You should work in a well-ventilated area or open space.
We hope that this article will be of help to you. If you have any ideas about this topic, you might want to know more about DIY ink projects. you may freely share them in the comment box below. We are pleased to read them and appreciate them too.